It’s rainy here in Texas this week- did you hear about the hurricane that came through? Wow. Fortunately, we are fine, just very soggy. The washer is going (thanks, mom) and the rain is tapping against the windows. The dogs are snoring on the couch. I’m thankful for quiet weekends like these.
Rainy days make me want to curl up on the couch with a book and some comfort food. These tacos are warm and filling, but fresh and flavorful at the same time. I think they are my new favorite thing! If you follow me on Instagram @KitchenWithKeri then you saw that I had these last week for Taco Tuesday. Yum!
I eat them on white corn tortillas, but most often, I just load up a bowl and chow down. Sometimes the tortilla just gets in the way- ha!
While the lentils are cooking, mix together the lime dressing. It comes together super fast in a small jar.
Drain and rinse a can of black beans, and combine with the lentils, dressing, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and chopped red bell pepper. Now that I’m thinking about it, if you want to spice things up, add a little chopped jalapeno as well.
You can serve the taco mixture warm or cold, whichever suits your fancy. But definitely don’t leave out the cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime, and the queso fresco cheese.
The longest part of this entire recipe is cooking the lentils, and while they are cooking, you can prep and chop the rest. Super easy and fast, gotta love it. And if you have a ripe avocado, you can’t go wrong serving that on top as well!
Black Bean & Lentil Tacos
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 can, or about 1.5 cups, cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, or to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped, optional
- 1 avocado, sliced
Smoky Lime Dressing
- juice of one lime
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning
- Cook the lentils until soft, but not mushy, about 20-25 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake to combine.
- Chop the bell pepper and tomatoes into a fine dice, and the jalapeno, if including.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, and combine with the lentils, dressing, and chopped pepper, tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeno.
- Serve on corn tortillas with extra sliced limes, crumbled queso fresco cheese, extra cilantro, and sliced avocado.