Here in Texas, it seems we are miserably far away from cooler fall temperatures. When the weather man showed the 7 day forecast of over 100 degree temps, I admit I let a 4 letter word fly. Things really don’t cool down here until late September at the earliest, so we have a ways to go with the heat.
My birthday is in the beginning of October, and if you look back throughout my childhood birthday pictures, you will see me either in shorts or a sweatsuit. That’s Texas for you. Cooler temps are sadly far away, so while dreams of fall keep me going, I’m firmly stuck in summer.
To me, summer is smoothie season. Nothing beats the heat like a frozen fruit smoothie. I like to add protein powder to my smoothies to give them staying power. Oh, I also use cream. Like, real cream. Cause fat is good, which is excellent news.
Most often, I make the lovely Phase One shake from Always Hungry. However, if you want to make your regular smoothie extra fancy and chocolaty, then you have to try Chef Dawn Ludwig’s Chocolate Cherry Shake. It’s like a dessert, y’all!
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
You will find this and several other great recipes on Chef Dawn Ludwig’s blog at drdavidludwig.com/blog. I highly recommend you take a look around!
- 1/2 cup frozen dark cherries (unsweetened)
- 1/4 ripe banana
- 3/4 – 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 serving protein powder (~26-29 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or dried vanilla bean
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- If you want to make it a bit creamier, or if you don’t have a high speed blender, Dawn recommends that you soak the cashews overnight covered in water on your counter.
- Dawn also discovered that it will turn into a pudding texture when refrigerated. Separate it into 4 ramekins and refrigerate overnight to serve as a dessert. Yum!