Well, y’all. Summer is officially over for me. Today is my first day back to work. I’m ready, as much as I’ll miss leisurely mornings face timing with my mom while we drink coffee and plan our day. How’s your morning coffee, mom? To ease the pain back into the grind, I decided to cook this easy recipe for dinner tonight.
This recipe is genius, because it breaks the prep down into very manageable chunks. When I’m working, I look for recipes that are delicious but don’t take hours in the kitchen. Sometimes it’s fun to do a long involved recipe, but when it comes to getting dinner on the table asap, this recipe is great.
The chicken base of this recipe is super easy to prep because it involves the crock pot. I love using my crock pot when I work! I add frozen chicken breasts to the crock pot, add half a jar of salsa, and a can of rinsed black beans (or a cup and a half of soaked and cooked black beans). I let it cook on low all day while I’m at work, or at least 6 hours. Trust me, when you get home, it will smell heavenly!
Now, if you are super rushed for time, you can shred the chicken with two forks in the crock pot at this point and serve it on corn tortillas and call it good. But we are going to go next level! When you get home from work, add half a package of cream cheese to the crock pot and let it sit and soften for about 15 minutes while you go about your afternoon. Mix and shred the chicken and it will become a lovely creamy blend of super flavorful tender chicken.
In the meantime, take out 4-6 poblano peppers, rinse them, cut off the tops and scrape out the seeds. Rub the skin with a bit of olive oil and salt and pop into the oven at 400 for about 20-25 minutes till they get good and blistery like this:
At this point, it’s just a matter of assembly. Slice open the peppers, lay them flat in a baking dish, layering with the chicken mix. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese on top and pop into the still hot oven for about 20 minutes until it’s all melt-y and bubbly. Yum!
I serve with whatever I have on hand. Today it was grape tomatoes and ripe avocado slices with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper. Done and amazing!
Try it! If you do, let me know how yours turns out!
Roasted Poblano Chicken Bake
- 1 pound frozen or thawed chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1.5 cups home prepared black beans
- ½ jar of salsa, any flavor
- ½ package cream cheese
- 4 to 6 poblano peppers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil to rub on peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the crock pot, place frozen chicken, salsa, and beans and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400. Shred the chicken and drain any excessive liquid (save it for a soup, it’s amazing!). You want the chicken to be moist and have some liquid, but not be soupy. Add the cream cheese on top and let soften while you prep the peppers. Stir all together.
- Wash the peppers, cut off tops and de-seed. Rub with a little bit of olive oil and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until they start to blister.
- Slice peppers open and lay flat in a baking dish, layering with the chicken, and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and melt-y delicious.